Tween Book Club
- Children's Storytime Room
About the Book
Read the book, "Harbor Me" by Jacqueline Woodson, and meet at the library for a lively book discussion and snacks. This book group is for kids ages 11-13, due to mature content. Sign up and pick up a copy of the book to borrow at the Kids' Desk.
It all starts when six kids have to meet for a weekly chat--by themselves, with no adults to listen in. There, in the room they soon dub the ARTT Room (short for "A Room to Talk"), they discover it's safe to talk about what's bothering them--everything from Esteban's father's deportation and Haley's father's incarceration to Amari's fears of racial profiling and Ashton's adjustment to his changing family fortunes. When the six are together, they can express the feelings and fears they have to hide from the rest of the world. And together, they can grow braver and more ready for the rest of their lives.
The author, Jacqueline Woodson, was the 2018-2019 National Ambassador for Young People's Literature
About the Club
Read the book and meet at the library for a riveting book discussion and fun filled activities!
- For ages 11 - 13.
- For both boys and girls.
- The first 10 readers can pick up a copy of the book to borrow at the Kids' Desk. Otherwise, you'll have to place the book on hold.
- Sign up at the Kids' Desk or online.
- A small snack is provided. Feel free to bring a snack to share with the group.
- Parents welcome, but not required, to attend.