If you are interested in applying for a job at the Bud Werner Memorial Library, please submit completed applications to the supervisor indicated in the job description.
Applying for a Job at the Library
Technical Services/Collection Management Librarian
Passionate about collections? Love solving MARC riddles? Do you perform back flips when systems are effortless and take on a Zen quality? Then you’re suited to work in the most beautiful library in the world with a team of creative, fun, smart and highly motivated people.
The Bud Werner Memorial Library in Steamboat Springs, Colorado seeks a full-time, tech-savvy librarian to develop and manage the technical services operations of the library and to participate as an active member of the Library’s collection management team. Position performs original cataloging, manages copy cataloging, materials processing, acquisitions and serials, and serves as the Library’s ILS liaison to the shared Marmot Library Network.
What You’ll Do
- Hire, train, and manage Technical Services staff (Cataloging, Acquisitions, Serials Management & Materials Processing).
- Perform professional cataloging, technical services and bibliographic control duties, including classification and description of all acquired materials using standard library cataloging and classification guides by adhering to library materials standards.
- Develop & document standard procedures & practices to maintain the accuracy and integrity of the library’s bibliographic, item, serial, and patron databases.
- Work directly with Marmot Library Network staff to ensure the efficient operation within our library of all Integrated Library System (ILS) modules including circulation, serials, cataloging, and acquisitions.
- Manage third party vendors that interface with the ILS – e.g. self check, credit card payment of fines.
- Provide oversight of specific areas of the library’s adult collection including materials selection, collection maintenance & weeding.
- Develop & document standard procedures & practices, set goals and design and monitor workflows to ensure that technical services operations are effective in delivering fast, quality and seamless processing of new materials. Patrons are awed by turn-around times of requested materials and popular materials are on the library’s shelves at the same time they are available in bookstores.
- Ensure that the library’s collections are beautifully maintained, relevant and well-used.
- Work directly with publishers and vendors to establish accounts and negotiate purchasing agreements.
- Plan, implement and manage all collection inventory processes.
- Collect, compile, publish and distribute ILS statistics & reports.
- Work collaboratively with the library’s management team to develop strategic concepts, practices, techniques and innovations to continually improve the quality of the library’s services and collections.
Knowledge of professional library purposes, principles and practices; comprehensive knowledge of technical services systems within a library environment; comprehensive knowledge of library databases, system security and library automation software and technology. Must possess knowledge of cataloging principles and procedures such as AACR2, USMARC, MARC21, DDC, RDA and authority control. Exceptional customer service skills. Ability to act in an administrative capacity for the Director and to supervise others effectively.
Lifting materials weighing up to 30 lbs., pushing or pulling carts with over 80 lbs of library materials as well as sitting at a desk for extended periods of time. May require working evenings and weekends and involves occasional travel, both local and out of town to attend meetings and conferences.
$42,848 - $65,441 annual 40 hours per week. Although the full salary range for this position is provided, offers are typically made within the starting salary range and depend on qualifications.
Medical Insurance, Retirement, Paid vacation & sick leave.
ALA accredited Masters Degree in Library Science required. Prior library experience preferred.
Please submit cover letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references to:
Bud Werner Memorial Library
1289 Lincoln Ave
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Position will remain open until filled however, priority consideration will be given to those applications received by November 9, 2014.