1884 - The first public meeting room ~ Union Church ~ was built on Pine Street between 7th and 8th Streets (current site of the Human Service Building).
1887 - Union Church became the William Denison Memorial Library (Library Hall). William Denison came west seeking relief and a cure from tuberculosis, which had stricken him while a medical student at Harvard. Upon his death, the family donated his collection of 1,000 volumes to the settlers, who, "shut out in a great measure from the world, would appreciate good books." ~Steamboat Pilot.