Position will remain open until filled however, priority consideration will be given to those applications received by July 10, 2020.
Do you love working with children and teens? Craving to use your dramatic and artistic skills to share your love of books and reading? Are you passionate about literacy and fostering a positive change in individuals, families, schools and your community? Then you are suited to work in the most beautiful library in the world with a team of creative, fun, smart and highly motivated people.
The Bud Werner Memorial Library in Steamboat Springs, Colorado seeks a full-time Youth Services Librarian to develop and manage services, collections and programs for children and teens. If you are passionate, kind, creative, motivated, flexible, imaginative, enthusiastic and thrive on collaboration, you may be perfect for this position.
What You’ll Do
- Hire, train, and supervise friendly, enthusiastic, competent and respectful Youth Services staff and volunteers who share our Library’s core values and commitment to exceptional service.
- Design, empower, motivate and provide engaging activities that help young people develop their creativity, interests and talents through an annual summer reading program as well as special programs and events for youth. Activities may include storytimes, storytelling, crafts, hired performers, book talks, reading groups, clubs, and more.
- Collaborate and build relationships with and services for professionals in the community that serve youth and their families.
- Foster the love of learning, libraries and story through outreach services to preschools, daycare facilities and schools.
- Promote and nurture the habit of reading through the selection, merchandising and management of inviting and enticing children's and teen collections.
- Support parents, family literacy, and homeschooling through timely programming, resources and materials.
- Work collaboratively with the Library’s management team to develop strategic concepts, practices, techniques and innovations to continually improve the quality and relevance of the library’s services and collections.
Knowledge of professional library purposes, principles and practices. Strong understanding of children's and young adult literature and selection tools. Comprehensive knowledge of children’s and teen’s developmental stages and needs. Exceptional customer service skills. Ability to act in an administrative capacity for the Director and to supervise others effectively, as well as maintain positive working relationships with other employees. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral).
Salary & Hours
- Depending on Experience
- 40 hours per week.
Major Medical Insurance coverage, retirement, paid vacation & sick leave.
ALA accredited Masters Degree in Library and Information Science desired. Prior library experience and/or coursework in children’s librarianship preferred.
Please submit cover letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references to: